What’s on in 2017
Preparing for Prep – every Tuesday mornnig during third term. 9am to 11am. Free workshops for young families
Saturday morning storytelling 10:30am for children up to 10 years old
Summer Book Sale and mini market – 2nd December
Valentine’s Day Lovers of Books
Our ‘Lovers of Books’ evening was a great success. On the Library verandah, Tuesday 14th February. Guest authors share their books, experiences, talks, ideas, laughs, stories and writing fun with us. Plus, we will be serving delicious refreshments too!
This year’s event features authors Robin King-Cullen; Tanya Arnold; Chris Collins; Valverde Maclean, Allison Paterson
Robin is a planning lecturer and author of “Mastering the art of urban planning” . Find out about Robin and her business Planning Secrets in her bio here…robin-bio-book-lovers or visit her website www.planningsecrets.com.au
Tanya runs her own business on nutrition for dogs and has written a book “Pupcakes” dedicated to our four legged friends. Find out more about this local author at there website www.tanyaarnold.com
Valverde is a Blackall Range author. His novels which combine relationships and romance with a touch of mystery and danger are set across a range of interesting Australian locations. v-maclean
Allison is the author of the adult title Anzac Sons and the children’s version, the 2016 ABIA and CBCA longlisted title, Anzac Sons: Five Brothers on the Western Front. Her children’s picture book Granny’s Place was released in 2016, while Shearing Time arrives in March, 2017. Find out more at:
Chris has a very simple philosophy which is to encourage people of all ages to read for the joy of reading! His beautiful rhyming books and author visits are designed to encourage this through fun and funkiness!
- Summer Book Sale and Mini Market: It’s on again! 19th November 8am to 1pm Our summer book sale is where you can grab a bargain in great reading material. From best selling authors, to tried and tested story tellers, our book sale will have a large selection of fiction and non-fiction book. Fill bag of books for just $10.00 and help support our Community Library. 11 stalls Local woodwork, native plants, Cakewalk Cafe and much more summer-booksale
- Liqueurs by Lamplight: Sip liqueurs on the verandah with John and Mary King of Rainforest Liqueurs. A very successful evening with lots of taste testing!
- Winter Book Sale: Following a cold morning start, our winter book sale was a great success with many visitors taking away bags and bags of books. Happy reading! Thank you everyone for your continued support.
- Trivia with a Twist: We are getting a great reputation for running our black Friday Trivia nights, and this one was no exception. We added a special twist to the normal trivia night which added lots of fun and conversation! See you at the next one!
- Valentine’s Day Lovers of Books Successful Event: Thank you to all those who came along to our ‘Lovers of Books’ evening on the deck on Sunday 14th February. About sixty people enjoyed a social moonlit evening of author talks and delicious refreshments. We look forward to planning next year’s event.
- Sizzling Sausages at Bunnings Hardware, Maroochydore: A most successful fund raiser was held at the end of January, raising over $1,900. Thank you to the volunteers who organised the barbecue and worked hard to feed the hungry customers.
- Fund Raising Blackall Range Colouring Book ‘Range of Colours’ colouring book Blackall Range Visual Artists group and other local artists have produced a Colouring Book to raise funds for community organisations including the Library. Original sketches include a wide ranging selection of floura and fauna to scenes from a rodeo, guaranteed to please all the family. Support your library for just $12 each. Postcards to colour are also available for just .50 cents each.
Multi Draw Christmas Raffle
Thanks to all who supported our Christmas raffle. The the largest amount ever raised in a library raffle, $700!
Thank you to everybody who came to our local history evening in September and to all those volunteers who organised a most successful evening. Many display items are available to borrow. Read the talks on our Mapleton Memories pages.
Volunteer Morning Tea
On Tuesday November 10 twenty-or-so volunteers enjoyed a morning tea at Secrets on the Lake at Montville. It was a good opportunity for newer volunteers to meet others and for all to spend a relaxing time socialising and getting to know one another better.
Art Exhibition Space
Lynne Begbie is the local pastel artist who booked our space in September-October.
Thank you to Barbara Willcocks, for her display in August, which included beautiful felted scarves.
‘Preparing for Prep’ free workshops
2016 workshops are currently being planned.
Last year’s series was well supported. The Library was the venue, working together with Mapleton State School, The Range Community Kindergarten, Nambour Good Beginnings Programme, and Zonta Club of Blackall Range. For more information.
An evening co-ordinated by Mary Walker was held at the Library in September to celebrate our community.
Read speakers’ talks on our Mapleton Memories page.
Father’s Day Raffle
Drawn on 5th September at 11am. Two prizes were a wine rack with a bottle of wine and a bottle of ‘champers’, or a wheeled travel case with men’s toiletries.
Art Exhibition August-September.
The next artist on display is Barbara Willcocks, a local talented resident. Please come in from the 8th August to see Barbara’s work and support our local artists.
Mother’s Day Raffle Thank you to those who supported this raffle for an exceptional Royal Doulton collector’s fugurine.
Saturday May 30 Book Sale and market stalls was a successful fundraiser. Thank you everyone who donated books in excellent condition. Our newest stalls were the children’s book marquee and Collectors Corner, both well patronised, as was our volunteers’ cake and sweet stall. Maleny Blackall Range Lions Club Inc. took care to prepare delicious barbecued meals and a selection of market stalls added colour to the day.
Trivia evening with three raffles, on 17 April, held at the Mapleton Bowls Club was very well attended: Thank you to everyone, volunteers and participants, who made it an enjoyable evening.
Photographer Hank Wade was featured in the library exhibition space from 29 April.
Easter Raffle was well supported thank you.
Artist Dr Nita C Lester exhibited her botanical art and photography at Maroochy Bushland Botanic Gardens until 19th April, between 10am to 2pm daily. Library volunteers catered for the exhibition opening on Friday 3 April.
Bingo was held on 5 March. Small numbers but fun for all and profit for the Library. Thank you to all supporters and to the Mapleton Bowls Club for providing the bar.
Photographic artist Margaret Lipscombe display was successful.
Our Valentines Day Book Lovers on Saturday February 14 was a most enjoyable and successful evening with more than sixty library ‘lovers’ and supporters attending. Thank you to all who attended and all our dedicated volunteers who contributed to make it such a good evening. We are planning to make this an annual event.
Christmas Wheelbarrow Raffle – very successful – raising over $700. Thank you to all community members and local businesses for your generous donations. The Wheelbarrow was overflowing. The winner was one of the Library volunteers.
December 6 Book Sale and market at the Library raised around $1,600. Thank you to all involved and to our Library supporters in the community.
Thank You to the Lions Dinner November 19 was held at the home of our Convenor and her husband. Around fifty dinner guests enjoyed a delicious meal and social evening.
Lions and Bowls Dinner on 22 April was an especially enjoyable evening.
Over $750 raised. Thank you everyone.
Valentine’s Day Book Lovers Evening on February 14 was held on the deck at the library from 5.30 to 8pm. Refreshments and local author speakers were enjoyed.
Sausage Sizzle March 22 IGA Mapleton from 9am to 1pm was successful. Thank you everyone for your support and to the staff and owners of the Mapleton IGA.
Bookloft Programme for Children. See the newsletter for details and times. This will not be continuing in 2015.
Sausage Sizzle at Mapleton IGA 26 October, another successful day. Thank you everyone for your generosity: Especially to the Lions members and to the IGA owners and staff.
Valentine’s Day 2013 ‘Book Lovers’ Party on Valentine’s Day’ was a fine evening in many respects. Over forty enthusiastic readers and writers attended.
Trivia nights The trivia night held at the Community Hall will be in aid of the Library was successful. Thank you to all those who supported this evening.